Did you know?
Numerous donations were made in 2016 by business communities, entrepreneurs, schools, consumers, local communities and various organisations, for which we are very grateful.
Also this year, we need your help. We have many fantastic donors that already provide us with fresh food on a weekly basis, but we are in need of non-perishable food as well.
Over the last couple of years, we have been able to increase both the number and size of the donations in kind, as well as the financial support given to us, so that we are in a better position to achieve our goals.
With the donations, we were able to build up a stock of non-perishable food. This enables us to add non-perishable healthy food to the food packages of our clients, for a couple of months.
More needs to be done however, whereby the focus will be on food shortage versus food waste. The amount of food re-distributed to the various Voedselbanken is still only a small fraction of the edible surplus food available in the Netherlands. We want to tackle this issue.
Mission of the Voedselbank
Our mission is to create a caring community and to stop food waste.
How can we do that? By sharing food resources.
The Voedselbank has the following main objectives:
– To distribute food to those requiring assistance.
– To accept donations of food.
– To accept donations of money (for operating costs).
– To collect, inspect and store food for distribution.
– To serve as a common point of contact for various segments of the Amsterdam community.
– In the development of our food hampers, the Voedselbank Amsterdam seeks to provide our clients with food that supports a healthy diet.
– Working collaboratively with local governments, communities and industry to deal with food waste. We are collecting food packages for the Amsterdam Voedselbank. So, if you wish to participate, we will deliver “Vul mij” (“Fill me” ) boxes to your company. These boxes are as big as a double shoebox. They are easily distributed and will be collected as soon as they are filled with non-perishable food.
If you have 10 boxes or more, our volunteer drivers will come to you to pick them up. Due to the lack of enough volunteer drivers in this time of the year, we would be grateful if a smaller number of boxes (less than 10) can be delivered directly by your organisation to the Distribution Centre.
want to start a food collection, please contact Debby Reijgwart +31 6 22909524
want to help at our distribution centre, please contact Rolf Peters +31 6 54684234
want to help us financially, please contact Bienja Jense + 31 83676979
Some more information about our collection goal
Some more information about our collection goal;
We seek to provide our clients with food that supports a healthy diet.
Some of our most needed non-perishable food categories are:
Dried vegetables & peas (lentils, kidney beans, black beans, chick peas, etc.)
Canned vegetables & peas
Pasta and rice
Pancake flour, cereal
Canned fish like tuna and salmon
Olive oil, sunflower oil